Getting Started Guide
The idea of this guide is to take you from being a complete OptimizePress beginner, to taking you through the process of setting up your pages. In this guide we will refer to other relevant training videos where needed, and those links will open in a new window or tab so you can keep referring back to this page as you follow the process.
Feel free to skip past any stages you’re already familiar with, so you can find the training that you need.
In order to use OptimizePress, you will need a domain and hosting. Most of you will already know what these are and have them setup, but if you don’t, read on. Basically a domain is how people find your website on the internet, so for example www.OptimizePress.com is our domain. You can register your own domain for around $10 – we recommend Namecheap.
You will also require hosting to get your site online. The hosting company stores your website files online and makes your site available for other people to see. We recommend Hostgator for all your hosting requirements. You can get a discount off your first months hosting by using the discount code “optimizepress”
You will need to link your domain to your hosting by using the nameservers from your hosting company with Namecheap (or your domain registrar) which basically tells the domain where to point to for the site files. You can get support for setting this up with Namecheap and Hostgator if you dont know what to do.
WordPress is the platform that OptimizePress runs on. WordPress is a free, open source platform which provides a powerful framework for your websites.
There are a number of ways that you can setup WordPress on your site:
1) *Recommended* If your hosting company comes with Cpanel (Hostgator does), you can use the Fantastico function to install WordPress in just a few clicks. See the tutorial below:
2) Your hosting company may provide it’s own system for installing WordPress. Check in your hosting control panel for a “web apps” section or check their help site to see if they provide this function. If you are using GoDaddy, see this guide.
3) To manually download and install wordpress – follow the steps here.
1) Download the latest version of our theme from the members area – http://www.optimizepress.com/members. Save the zip file somewhere you can easily find it on your computer
2) License your domain(s) in the licensing page of the members area – http://www.optimizepress.com/members then click “License Your Sites”
3) Install OptimizePress on your WordPress site. We recommend that you upload your theme from within WordPress, as this is the quickest way to install OptimizePress. See how to do this in the video below:
Alternatively, you can manually upload the files to your site via FTP. To do this, you need to load your site in your FTP software, extract the “OptimizePress” folder from within the zip folder and upload this to your wp-content/themes folder. Your folder must be called “OptimizePress” otherwise the installation may not function correctly.
Here’s the permalink structure we recommend using: /%postname%/
Check the tutorials below to find out how to get started creating pages within OptimizePress:
Squeeze Page Guide – learn how to create squeeze pages
Sales Page Guide – learn how to get started creating sales letters & pages
Launch Funnel Guide – how to setup your product launch funnel/pages